Teon Dollard is no longer on Akron’s football roster. That really stinks for the Zips because Dollard was unquestionably one of the best running backs this team has fielded in about a decade, and was named a First Team All-MAC player after he put up 666 rushing yards (go figure) on the shortened 2020 season.
Back in March, Dollard faced a felony weapons charge and faced a suspension with the team at that time. Dollard came back and participated in workouts and practices, but it wasn’t until game week that the star RB was off the team.
NEXT MAN UP?
A quick look at who the Zips still have on roster to play the RB spot:
- Josh Bryant (Fr.) — Incoming freshman.
- Blake Hester (Fr.) — Played two games in 2020; no stats.
- Jamason Jodway (Fr.) — Played one game in 2020; no stats.
- Dae’Vontay Latimer (Fr.) — Transferred to Akron from Kentucky Christian (NAIA) over the offseason, and was also on the KCU track team.
- Jonzell Norrils (Fr.) — Played 2 games last year; 7 att., 30 yards, 1 TD
- Anthony Williams Jr. (R-Fr.) — Transferred to Akron from Michigan State over the winter. Played 13 career games for MSU; 42 att., 123 yards, 1 TD.
My mind immediately points to Anthony Williams, the Michigan State transfer, and Jonzell Norrills as the top two backs to get most of the touches this year. I’ve got no clue if that’ll actually be the case over the course of 12 games, but they’re the early front-runners on paper.