Again, the deadline for players to transfer through the portal and be eligible to play in the 2021 season (note: not all of them) is coming up: July 1, 2021. We’re only weeks away from that date, so let’s take a quick look at some recent updates.
JUCO WR TO BUFFALO
This team’s the most interesting to talk about in the portal, so I apologize if you feel like I’m forcing you to care about the goings on of this specific team’s roster. But the reality is, I’d be doing this for literally any team going through one of the most unique coaching changes in one of the most unique times (for the school and for the sport, let alone the world somewhat trying to end a health pandemic) possible.
Here’s a skilled player that we’ll probably see a lot of this season: WR Khamran Laborn. He’s not a huge target (5’9, 160) but has a good speed element as a slot receiver and as a return specialist.
Laborn’s from Norfolk, Va. that had some decent exposure out of HS, but his lone offer came from Virginia Tech. He ended up going to Garden City C.C. for his first year of college ball and was the team’s leading receiver (26 rec., 460 yards, 4 TD). After his one juco year, he received offers from Buffalo, ULM, Marshall, Montana State (FCS), NC Central (FCS), Ohio, and VT before ultimately siding with Maurice Linguist’s program.
OUTGOING MAC PLAYERS
Here are some notes on a handful of outgoing MAC football players in the transfer portal:
- WR Ronnie Blackmon (Toledo) is going to be a grad transfer if he ends up anywhere. Blackmon, from Atlanta, transferred to Toledo from Colorado in 2019. For Toledo, he caught 12 passes for 149 yards with 2 TD, and returned 13 kicks for 59 yards.
- LB Desean Boyd (Eastern Michigan) entered the transfer portal yesterday, and already has an offer from Alabama A&M (FCS).
- QB Jairus Grissom (Eastern Michigan) picked up an offer from Georgia Southern on Tuesday. For his ability as a runner, it’s easy to see him being a nice fit for that triple-option offense.
- DL Max Saylor (Central Michigan) played in 11 games as a true freshman in 2019 (DNP 2020). Saylor entered the portal on Wednesday.
- LB Davion Tyson (Ball State) never really broke through on the depth charts aside from one game appearance in 2019 (no stats).