Lots of things to go over with Buffalo these days. Lance Leipold left for Kansas less than a month ago and now we’re already talking about the replacements from the mostly-departed coaching roster. Also, we’re going to see how Maurice Linguist will find replacements for Bulls to hit the transfer portal in the midst of all this.
Buffalo hires James Madison’s OC
Linguist’s second important hire so far as Buffalo’s 26th head coach is somebody that’s been a head coach at the MAC level before.
Shane Montgomery, 54, won two MAC East titles in 2005 and 2007 with the Miami RedHawks (2005-08). In 2003, as Miami’s offensive coordinator and Ben Roethlisberger’s quarterback coach, the #13 RedHawks won the MAC title over #20 Bowling Green, and Montgomery was a Broyles Award finalist, which goes out to the nation’s best QB coach.
- 2019-21- James Madison, OC/QB
- 2018- Charlotte, OC/QB
- 2010-17- Youngstown State, OC/QB
- 2009- Akron, OC/TE
- 2005-08- Miami, Head coach (17-31 overall, 13-19 MAC, 2 MAC East titles)
- 2001-04- Miami, OC/QB
- 1993-2000- Chattanooga, GA
- 1991-92- NC State, GA
Notable Quarterbacks Montgomery has coached:
- Ben DiNucci- James Madison, 7th round draft pick in 2020 (Cowboys). Was an All-American at the FCS level in 2019, and the CAA Offensive Player of the Year that season. Originally started out at Pitt, transferred to JMU after his sophomore year. (Gibsonia, Penn. / Pine-Richland HS)
- Kurt Hess- Youngstown State, started every game of his career from 2010-13 and graduated as the school’s passing records holder across most statistical categories. In 2012, he threw three TD passes to take down Pitt 31-17.
- Ben Roethlisberger- Miami, 1st round draft pick in 2004 (Steelers.) I mean, you probably know his story. (Findlay, Ohio / Findlay HS)
Montgomery’s a MAC retread, sure, but he’s also a guy that’s been a OC lifer and might be wanting more than what he’s gotten so far. Maybe Montgomery sees this as an opportunity to be an OC/QB coach that Linguist will want to keep through Buffalo and, if all goes according to plan, to the next best job after this. Just a quick assumption from the dumb ole brain of mine, but that’s also usually how these things go.
Buffalo: LB Miller, WR Wilson in Portal
Buffalo players in the transfer portal after Leipold’s departure (2020 starters in bold):
- LG, Jacob Gall
- S, Cory Gross Jr.
- LB, Rich Miller
- C, Mike Novitsky
- LB, Tim Terry
- DT, Eddie Wilson
- WR, Trevor Wilson
- DT, Tyrece Woods
QB Matt Myers, who started the first-half of the 2019 season, put his name in the transfer portal after Leipold left for Kansas but withrdrew following the school’s hiring of Linguist.
I don’t knock any of these guys for leaving Buffalo, even if I think Linguist is a really good football coach that could help get these guys to the next level. Ultimately, these guys might try to follow Leipold if there’s the right fit, but I don’t think Kansas is going to take all eight of these guys.